The purpose of the Academic Thesis Management System is to manage Bachelor and Master (maybe even Phd.) thesis inside a University/Faculty/Institute. It consists of two parts: candidate and the professor modules. An additional (independent) module will be the thesis management module.
General features include:
- a calendar view until the thesis defence;
- search through past theses with the same areas of research (from that university/faculty/institute);
- the system will recognize students & professors belonging to a that institution (same e-mail and password used to login in the institution account but with the option to include allow other members);
- the system will also verify that the final (and intermediary) submissions respect certain (formatting, quality) standards (latex, pdf, source code formatting);
- The system will automatically notify the candidate of new assignments and deadlines via e-mail.
The candidate module:
- A candidate will be able to submit his request to be advised by a professor;
- A candidate will be able to submit different assignments, technical reports and papers required by a professor;
- Review professor individual and public notes/comments/resources;
- Visualize statistics of assignments, grades, reviews etc.
- Allow the students to submit videos, screenshots, and source code;
- Register for the thesis defence (if not register the student will not be able to defend his thesis – thesis management module).
The professor module:
- A professor will be able to accept or deny/reject to advise certain students, or establish a certain limit to the number of students he will coordinate;
- A professor will be able to post assignments and deadlines to those assignments;
- Give individual and public notes/comments/resources to students;
- Optional approve/deny students to register for a certain thesis defence slot (maybe the thesis is not complete);
- Visualize statistics of assignments completed, students thesis grades, past student grades etc.
- If a deadline is established that means that after that deadline no more submissions will be accepted.
The thesis management module:
- Automatically generate the schedule for the thesis defence depending on how many students registered;
- Automatically compile the final theses over a year, and display them by categories (professors, grades, research area etc.)
- Allow the board reviewing each thesis to assign grades to the students;
- Visualizing statistics over a year (5 years etc), generation, research area, depending on the grades, etc.
- Display the thesis for future generations.
- BONUS: compare past thesis for plagiarism.
Bonus: Using semantic web technologies (RDF, microdata) and multiple ways of visualizing data.